Thursday, March 13, 2008

A Philadelphia Story!




My husband, Rob, passed away just over a month ago (Feb 8, '08) and I have found great comfort in pouring through many of our cherished memories. I dedicate this blog to him as I hope to fill it with his pictures, humorous anecdotes, antics, writings, etc., etc., many of which just beg to be shared! My heart felt thanks go out to all who have mourned as well as rejoiced with me... I love easter time as we celebrate the resurrected Savior who enabled us to claim this sentiment: “O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?” (1 Cor. 15:55)
As I move West next month, I hope to keep in touch with many of the wonderful friends Rob & I came to know and love in Philadelphia. My email is beritkprice@yahoo.com, please keep in touch! I am also going to turn Rob's old webpage: http://www.rpricelaw.com/ into a tribute to him pretty soon, so look that up in a few weeks when I get around to that.

Last night was a beautiful night! I picked up my friend, Johanna, and we headed to the symphony at Verizon Hall in the Kimmell Center. It was from the subscription series that Rob and I had for the Philadelphia Orchestra.
On our way to the concert en route from Johanna's home, we passed through a gorgeous section of Fairmount Park heading towards I76. Here, there was a stunning view of the luminous city just before sunset, looking more dazzling than any site I've ever seen! It was near here (picture) Rob & I first spoke openly of our desire to be eternally together back in July '04!!





The concert was spectacular and was conducted by one of the world's greats and Philadelphia's very own, Charles Dutoit. It featured ethereal siren like voices doing impossibly divine & melodious octave leaps (the Philadelphia Chorus, Women's Chorale were featured in the Debussy Nocturne and in Holst's 'The Planets' last night) and glorious brass fanfare, not to mention the magical effects of combined celesta, harps, xylophones, piano, & an elevated organ (which happens to be the largest world class concert hall organ in the US). Soooo amazing!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know you but I am very sorry for your loss. I hope you are okay during this sad time. Take care of yourself.

joyful704 said...

what a wonderful outlet. i found great comfort in stories and memories of my father when he passed away suddenly sox years ago. people start talking about our loved ones bc tey think it will pain us, yet remmebering them and speaking of them often bring us the greatest comfort. this is one of my favorite poems.... and i think you should ask people to post a funny/favorite memory of rob. it is amazing the things you will learn. a grief counselor once told me that is one small good thing about loosing peopoe when they are young. you get to hear wonderful stories of them, but when people die when they are old, most of their friend/family has passsed too and a lot is lost. Death is nothing at all.
I have only slipped away into the next room. I am I, and you are you. Whatever we were to each other that we still are. Call me by my old familiar name, speak to me in the easy way which you always used. Put no difference in your tone, wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow. Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes we enjoyed together. Play, smile, think of me, pray for me. Let my name be ever the household word that it always was, let it be spoken without effort, without the trace of a shadow on it. Life means all that it ever meant. It is the same as it ever was; there is unbroken continuity. Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight? I am waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near, just round the corner.
All is well.

Henry Scott Holland
1847-1918
Canon of St Paul’s Cathedral

from: joy wilson- Rob used to be our hometeacher when we living in Philly.

Berit said...

Thank you, Joy, your words warmed my heart! And this poem is now a favorite of mine too!